Difficulty level: • • • •
By Lindsay Bull, technical writer
We all have that memory from high school—trying to show your classmates the hilarious video you saw on YouTube last night, only to be met with that dreaded “blocked website” screen… Oh, you say you didn’t have the Internet in high school? Wait, you didn’t even have computers? How old are you?
Content management has come a long way in the past few years; from being able to block websites users shouldn’t have access to and being able to track who accessed what based on their login credentials to being able to go so far as to pause the Internet for a specific device or the entire building.
It’s clear this level of control is varying degrees of useful depending on what kind of boss, principal, or parent you want to be. But Luxul partners with Router Limits to deliver these features to all users, and here are our top 10 reasons we love Router Limits for Internet control:
- Router Limits is built-in to Luxul routers, making it effortless to deploy and an easy sell to the consumer, especially since they can employ it at no additional cost.
- As we mentioned earlier, Router Limits offers an “Internet Pause Button.” With the simple click of a button, users can pause a single device or entire groups of devices, making it much easier to have family time, make sure students don’t have access to the Internet during lectures, or ensure you have every employee’s attention during meetings.
- With the filter content feature, individual websites or categories of websites can be blocked and easily unblocked. So Netflix can be turned off on your kids’ devices after bedtime, social media can be blocked for all employees except the ones managing digital marketing, and custom filters can be set up per classroom so students aren’t accessing websites they shouldn’t be.
- Managing screen time is made easy with a simple interface that enables parents or employers to set Internet schedules, blocking websites or groups of websites only during certain times of the day.
- The ability to track browsing history doesn’t sound that exciting, since everyone has known this is possible for a while now and kids even know how to clear their browsing history in order to cover up their tracks. But with Router Limits, this information is stored in the cloud, so you can access it anytime even if it gets deleted from the computer.
- Google and Bing SafeSearch can be locked on, meaning explicit images, videos, and websites can be blocked from search results.
- Similar to Google and Bing SafeSearch, YouTube Restricted Mode can also be enabled on devices, so mature content will be screened out.
- With device-level control, devices can be grouped by person, age, or type of device, so tailoring each person’s Internet experience can be done quickly and efficiently.
- Router Limits offers a mobile companion app that enables this same level of control even when a device leaves the network. So kids still won’t be exposed to harmful content on their phones when they sign-on to their friend’s networks.
- You don’t have to be “on site” to perform any of the functions listed above. So no matter where you’re at—on vacation, a business trip, visiting another campus—this same level of control is completely available.
With this higher level of control capabilities, managing the Internet has become so much more effective and increasingly more simplified. And with Router Limits built-in to Luxul Epic routers, there’s really no reason not to employ these features.
For more information about Router Limits, this video covers each feature and situations in which they’d be useful in more depth.